Weekend with Ruby

You know Ruby. Here she is, fresh from lunch and looking pretty pleased with herself. I think what’s really going on is she realizes she’s about to show me and Yen 24 hours of what it’s like to be parents.

She started us with a little light reading. I learned quickly that you don’t ask stupid questions about the text.

After that, she’d had enough and decided it was time for us to get out of the house.

I selfishly wanted to stop for a few photos and some tickling before we left.

At last we stopped screwing around and headed out to the zoo.

Not all of the animals were out, and the ones that were didn’t seem terribly motivated to do anything interesting. It was still a little cold, I guess.

Neither of us was terribly impressed by this car, which was designed to look as if it had crashed into the lion paddock. I think I as fretting over how dirty it looked, and Ruby was already feeling a bit dubious about the lion.

When she first saw him, she said, “Lion! Rawr!” with that little growl she does. But as he moved closer and closer to us, she began frantically shaking her head “No” and burrowing back into the stroller. We rolled onto to over things.

Not sure what’s wrong with this guy’s eye.

Sorry about this next one, Dad.

By then it was getting pretty late, so we stopped off for the main event: playground equipment.

She was really excited about this slide… in theory. The fact that it was enclosed kind of freaked her out. So we did the only thing a person can do in such a situation: accompanied her.

She was a natural on the horse and even used it as an opportunity to work on her pronunciation.

After the zoo, we headed to Dorchester for some food. We discovered that she doesn’t like spring rolls, but does like vanilla ice cream. Thank god we figured that out.

By the time we finished, it was well past her bedtime, and I was ashamed when I received a text from Jenny as we drove home asking whether she’d gone to bed quietly. Nope. She was awake in the backseat checking out the skyline. But she did go right to sleep when we got home, and we collapsed onto the couch for some TV before deciding that 9:50 was probably a reasonable bedtime.

The next morning, she slept until 6:30, then did that snuffling that kids do (and we all feel like doing) when we have awakened but don’t quite feel like getting up yet. I dressed and lay on the covers listening and contemplating what on earth I could do to amuse her for a few hours. At last she woke for real and we got her dressed and headed out for a walk.

We visited Starbucks and had a chocolate milk (and a latte). She said “Hi!” to some passersby, explained repeatedly that that thing is a dog, and informed one gentleman that her chocolate milk was hers. Then we got back in the stroller and took a nice long walk through Arlington. She particularly enjoyed watching some kids play soccer. By 9:30, I decided to call in some reinforcement and woke Yen.

We agreed that the park was probably a good way to eat up an hour.

Here she is tallying the number of times she’s gone on the “big slide” (her term).

Updating the count.

Finally about the time I started seriously dreaming of a shower, she seemed to wear out too.

After lunch, we packed up.

And with the exchange complete, Yen and I headed home as DINKs again, a state where you can do whatever you like whenever you like: we napped.

After the nap, of course we talked about how different life would be if there was a little person around all the time. Much, much different of course. I think it’s made far harder by not having a childproof house (Jenny is able to put Ruby in her room to play knowing that she’s 100% safe), but of course also we don’t know her routines and neurotically think that it’s our job to entertain her 24/7. Still, that nap felt awfully damned good.